Your furniture is what makes your house feel like a home – it’s a cozy place to relax with a morning coffee, lounge after work, or cuddle up with your loved ones. But all this quality time spent on your sofas and chairs means they also need regular care and attention to keep them in top shape.
Here, we explain the best methods for cleaning upholstered furniture and tackling stains, and talk you through the professional upholstery cleaning methods we use, so you can ensure the furniture in your home remains fresh and comfy for years to come.
First things first…
Before we dive in, it’s important to note that each piece of upholstery can require very different cleaning methods, depending on the material, age, and style.
Make sure to check the tag, which you can typically find on the back or bottom of your furniture. It will include manufacturer instructions for appropriate cleaning guidelines, such as cleaning agents, temperature, and other key details.
How to clean upholstered furniture: General upkeep
To keep your upholstery looking its best, make general upkeep part of your regular cleaning routine. As we mentioned above, cleaning methods will vary from piece to piece, but typically you can:
- Brush your sofa or chair down with either an upholstery brush or a soft bristled brush, depending on the type upholstery fabric.
- Vacuum using the appropriate upholstery attachment, including areas underneath the cushions and along the sides.
- Spot treat particularly dirty areas with the appropriate cleaning agents.
How to remove stains from upholstered furniture
Red wine, pet mess, coffee… Stains can come in all different shapes, colors, and sizes but there’s one thing that’s consistent about them – upholstery stains are a pain! And, unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution.
Substances can penetrate the fibers and cause permanent damage to your upholstery, through colour fading or spotting – especially if they aren’t treated properly.
Treatment methods vary, depending on the source of the stain and how long it has been left for. Before attempting to clean a stain yourself, always check the furniture label to see which cleaning agents are safe to use.
To avoid causing further damage, we always recommend consulting an expert before attempting to remove a stain from your upholstery. If you’re unable to do so, you could try a common at-home method:
- Blot the stain carefully with warm water and an appropriate cleaning agent (call your professional cleaner for suggestions.)
- Blot the stain again using only water, to rinse out the cleaner.
- Pat the area dry with a cloth or paper towel.
Things to avoid
When cleaning your upholstery, there are certain things you should avoid completely (unless the manufacturer instructions say otherwise):
- Don’t wash cushion covers in the washing machine, as it can cause them to shrink and fade, while also destroying the construction of the fabric and integrity of the cushion inside.
- Don’t guess when it comes to cleaning products. Even the most harmless looking things on the grocery store shelf can react with your upholstery and damage the quality and appearance of your furniture, and product residue can bleach fabric over time.
Why go pro?
While there are certainly things you can do to maintain the cleanliness of your upholstery, it’s important to have it professionally cleaned at least once every 12-18 months (and more often if it suffers from a stain or other damage).
Our experts will bring special equipment and all-natural cleaning agents that will tackle the dirt and allergens that you’re unable to reach. Of course, our methods vary depending on the type of upholstery, but typically we’ll:
- Use temperature appropriate water extraction cleaning methods, which provide the deepest clean.
- Use all-natural detergents that can eliminate dirt and odors while still being gentle on the fabric.
- Apply a fabric protector spray, upon request, which creates an invisible border around the fibres to protect them from soil, stains, and future wear and tear.
We’re also able to tailor our upholstery cleaning services to suit your furniture, from lingering odors to unsightly stains. Fill in the form on the side of the page to request a quote, and our team will work with you to understand your needs and help establish a plan of action!
Request a Quote
We’ll be in contact with you shortly to give you an estimate.